Uncomfortable Revolution™ is looking for totally awkward personal stories and anecdotes about chronic medical illness and disability that ignite the conversation in a playful, interactive way. In every format. You may submit blogposts, photo essays, cartoons, animations, illustrations, videos, and audio.
Pitch us ideas for raw, authentic stories about life with any health condition: from cancer, HIV/AIDS, and heart disease; mental illness, addiction or eating disorders; to MS and other mobility-affecting illnesses.
Our tone is humorous, authentic, and a bit quirky. We are never preachy.
We define "chronic illness/disability" as any physical or psychological health condition that is long-term and affects your everyday life. If you had the flu that one time, this isn't for you.
What we're NOT looking for:
- Medical/Clinical/Pharmaceutical/Nutritional advice.
- Undercover promo for your business or service
- Subject matter that does not fit the express theme of awkward conversations/moments that arise from chronic illness or disability
- Subject matter that (whether intentionally or not) discriminates against an entire category of people (ethnicity, gender, political persuasion, religion, sexual identity etc.)
- Pieces that require significant editing or re-writes
- Anything that's not written in English. This is really our failure because we are monoglots. :(
What we want you to submit:
- Authentic, true, raw stories of uncomfortable moments or conversations that have come up because of chronic illness or disability: whether you are the one diagnosed, or someone you know is
- Stories could be about: conversations you did have; conversations you never got the chance to have; a gifting experience gone wrong; dating and sex: what's it really like?; what's it like at work, or life in general? Tell us the things you never get to talk about, but are dying to!
- Stories that make us laugh, shout, scream, die slowly inside, cry, or want to hit somebody. Make us feel what you feel
- Well-written/produced content that is ready-to-publish (i.e. typo-free) that you are the author of, or have permission to submit
- Written pieces in the range of 500-1,500 words
- Include a bio of no more than 100 words written in the third person, plus links to your social media profiles (Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn) and a portrait photo.
- We are currently unable to pay writers for their contributions for their personal stories.
- We commit ourselves to promotion of your work, even if published elsewhere, on our website and social media platforms.
All contributors receive full credit and author profile page with links to your social media or blog on urevolution.com
**Upcoming Focus Themes**
- Our next issue focuses on sex and chronic illness or disability, so we are especially looking for stories on that theme.
- Learning disabilities
- Life with addiction
So, get it off your chest! Send us your story idea by filling out the form below.